A ketogenic diet is very helpful if you want to lose weight, reduce seizures or control your diabetes. But here’s the thing, a keto diet is full of non-vegetarian foods such as meat, eggs, etc.
If you are a vegetarian, then you might be thinking that “How can I adopt a vegetarian ketogenic diet with a vegetarian keto diet meal plan when it contains non-vegetarian foods”.
Let me tell you it does not matter if you don’t like meat and other non-vegetarian items you can still follow a keto diet plan and get the benefits that come with it.
What Is A Ketogenic Diet?
A ketogenic diet is high fat and low carb diet with moderate consumption of proteins.
It was used as a treatment for Epilepsy in kids almost a century ago but now it has become a very popular diet plan for everyone.
It has very positive health effects for many health conditions and using this you can easily do weight loss without any starvation.
Working Of A Ketogenic Diet:
When you are on the ketogenic diet then your body is forced to burn the excess fat in the place of carbohydrates to get the required energy.
Therefore your body goes into the state of ketosis. Your body starts using an alternative source of fuel i.e. ketones.
Ketones are the product of fat metabolism which is used by almost all cells in our body instead of glucose as an energy source.
These ketones are a kind of fuel that helps the body to burn fat instead of using glucose from carbs.
Difference Between Good Carbs & Bad Carbs
A vegetarian diet contains more carbs than meat-eating diets. Therefore it is very important to understand the difference between good carbs and bad carbs.
Good carbs are the foods that are higher in fiber, and nutrients because they are not processed or very less processed.
Bad carbs are the food which is highly processed and are high in carbs.
These foods are converted to sugar faster and hence enter the bloodstream faster.
Why Bad Carbs Are Not Good?
Both good and bad carbs increase our blood sugar levels.
However bad carbs are highly processed and therefore they are absorbed by our body faster than nutrient-rich good carbs.
Carbs are converted into sugar which is also known as glucose and then released into the bloodstream which is used as a fuel.
This increased level of blood sugar gives us energy to our body. To use this blood sugar our pancreas releases insulin.
This insulin helps our body to process the sugar of carbs to be used as fuel.
When we consume high amounts of carbs, then the blood sugar level in our body increases and the pancreas releases more insulin and makes our body to use this increased sugar as fuel. This results in weight gain.
List Of Bad Carbs To Avoid:
We should always avoid consuming highly processed and bad carbs foods. Some of the foods which have a high amount of carbs are:
- White Bread, Pasta
- White Rice
- Fruit Juices
- Non-Diet Sodas
- White Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes
Good And Low Carb Food To Store In Your Kitchen
If you have eliminated the bad carbs then it’s the time to use the good and low carb foods. Some of the good carbs foods are:
Vegetables With Low Carb Content
- Green Beans
You should try not to eat any types of fruits, but berries are low in carbs. So, it’s ok to take it in small amounts.
Spices, Condiments & Seasoning Groups
Here’s a comprehensive list of all the protein-rich foods which you can use in a Keto Diet:
Vegetarian Keto Proteins
- Dairy Products
- Nuts and Seeds
If you are unable to meet your protein needs then you can use organic rice or hemp protein powder.
Keep in mind to use them also as a supplement and not on a regular meal and consuming too much protein might not help you in ketosis.
Fats In A Vegetarian Ketogenic Diet
Nuts & Seeds
Nuts and Seeds are a great protein and fat sources. Make sure to choose mostly low carb and high-fat nuts and seeds
Below is the list of best nut options which are low in carbs and high in fat:
- Brazil nuts
- Macadamia nuts
- Pine nuts
Best Seed Options:
- Chia seeds
If you choose the right quality of oil then it would be good for your ketogenic diet because oils are entirely made of fat. There is a type of fat known as “MCT” which are metabolized quicker than most other fats and turned into useful energy.
Some Of The Healthy Oils Are Listed Below:
- Olive oil
- Flaxseed oil
- Avocado oil
- MCT oil
- Coconut oil
- Macadamia oil
Dairy and Egg products for fat sources:
- Cottage cheese, Cream cheese
- Butter (grass-fed)
- Heavy whipping cream
- Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
Other non-dairy sources of fat:
- Cocoa Butter
- Coconut cream
Complete 7 Day Vegetarian Keto Diet Meal Plan
- Breakfast – Tofu along with Strawberry Smoothie
- Lunch – Summer Vegetable Bisque with Soy Egg Salad.
- Snack – Cucumber Slices with Olive Tapenade.
- Dinner – Vegetable Burgers with Black Bean Sauce.
- Dessert – Chocolate Silk Pie.
- Breakfast – Fruit with high fiber content cereals.
- Lunch – Black Bean Soup with some Green Salad.
- Snack – Vegetable Spring Rolls with a Spicy Peanut Sauce.
- Dinner – Spinach Pie with a Vegetable Salad
- Dessert – Almond Crust with Red grape truffles
- Breakfast – Scrambled Tofu.
- Lunch – Cajun Tempeh Chicken Salad with Collard Greens.
- Snack – Spinach and Artichoke Dip.
- Dinner – Vegetarian Sloppy Joes with a Green Vegetable Salad.
- Dessert – Blueberry Soy Cheesecake.
- Breakfast – Mushroom Frittata with Spinach.
- Lunch – Tofu with Vegetable chef Salad.
- Snack – Eggplant Dip along with Whole Grain Crackers
- Dinner – Spinach Pesto along with Roasted Eggplant Lasagna
- Dessert – Poached Pears in Chocolate Sauce.
- Breakfast – Tofu Benedict.
- Lunch – Vegetable Slaw with spiced lentil soup
- Snack – Jalapeno Hummus with Jicama Sticks
- Dinner – Parsley with Portobello Patties
- Dessert – Apple Crumb Pie
- Breakfast – Oatmeal along with fruit
- Lunch – Spiced Tempeh with Vegetable Salad
- Snack – Celery stuffed with hummus
- Dinner – Sesame-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms and Black Bean.
- Dessert – Apple and Zucchini Cake
- Breakfast – Coffee with Chocolate Smoothie
- Lunch – Four Hearts Salad Serve with Split Pea Soup with Cabbage
- Snack – Mushrooms stuffed with Pine Nuts
- Dinner – Stuffed Eggplant with Vegetable salad
- Dessert – Fudge Truffles
Ketogenic Diet Guidelines
There are many types of ketogenic diets available. The strictest types of ketogenic diet can limit you to not take more than 20 grams of carbs.
These type of ketogenic diets helps to lose weight faster but most people can’t follow the strict diets for much longer.
Therefore, you should follow a moderate level keto diet which will help you to lose weight and become as healthy as possible.
Follow these Daily Guidelines to get the best results:
- Carb Intake – up to 50 grams
- Fat Intake – 50 to 60 grams
- Fiber Intake – 25 to 35 grams
- Calorie Count – 1,400 to 1,500
Become aware of the amount and type of food you consume. Don’t eat heavy meals and try to stick to the above meal plan dedicatedly.
Don’t be afraid of experimenting with the foods you eat. Try to mix things up, use spices you have not tried earlier and been ready to explore new recipes.
By finding new ways to prepare dishes will surely help you in staying consistent with the Ketogenic diet.
If you follow the Vegetarian Keto Diet Meal plan rigorously then you will reap the benefits over a very long period of time and will also help you in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.